Friday 24 October 2014

Flash Fiction Friday: Why can't I see what they can?



Why can't I see what they can?

Sitting before the dressing table mirror with tears forming in my eyes and my corset still unfastened, the swell of my ample breasts visible, I opened my small battered compact and stared at the much smaller reflection of myself, the reflection I still preferred.
Even though I had been called beautiful, sexy, gorgeous and all the positive things a woman loves to hear I still couldn't understand why people used those words to describe me, because all I could see was the man I used to be, not the woman I had sacrificed so much to become.


©JSMorbius

I hope you enjoy my flash and visit all my friends who also have 100 words, based on the same image, to entertain you with.

7 comments:

Angelica Dawson said...

So much emotion in so few words. I often wonder why we hate and hurt one another over such immaterial things.

Unknown said...

Love the ending. Great twist.

Muffy Wilson said...

Splendid, Julez. Women born as women ask themselves the same questions. It is the very basis of the cosmetics advertising business. Little do we realize that it is precisely what we cannot see that makes us beautiful and it is the same for your character. Great flash.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Julez, that was beautiful :-)

Anonymous said...

Great take on the flash Julez.

Dariel Raye said...

Love your take on the flash, Julez, and totally agree with Muffy. Things are seldom what we see.

Rolling Muse in The Roses said...

WOW!! You def caught me in this story! I loved how you gave such strong emotions and urning. To be seen yet to know to everyone else you are different as they don't know who you are inside. Powerful! Great flash!